Metabolism affects the basic level of energy necessary for the body to provide vital functions. Although excessive calorie intake and lack of physical activity determine overweight, you can boost your metabolic rate to burn more calories and lose weight.
What is metabolism?
Metabolism is a biochemical process during which the body turns food into energy.
Nutrients from food and drinks are oxidized and give energy to the body to carry out its activities.
Even during rest, when you are not doing anything, your body continues to work - breathing, circulating blood vessels, maintaining hormonal levels and renewing cells.
This value depends on several factors:
- Current weight and physique. People with more weight and more muscle mass spend more calories, even when they are alone.
- Floor. Men burn calories more efficiently because they have less fat mass and more muscle than women of the same age and weight.
- Age. With age, the number of muscles decreases, as a result of which the ability to burn calories slows down. After 40 years, metabolism slows down by 5% every decade.
Metabolism Acceleration Methods
If the metabolic rate is low, the absorbed carbohydrates, proteins and fats are processed for a long time into the energy necessary for the functioning of the body. As you lose weight, your metabolic rate will decrease, as the body will need fewer calories.
Studies show that you can increase calorie consumption for weight loss, using some techniques to speed up metabolism.
Eat often throughout the day and in small portions, do not skip breakfast.
The increase in time between meals contributes to the fact that the body includes a fasting regimen. In this case, the body seeks to save energy to prevent depletion and reduces the metabolic rate.
Add low-fat proteins to your diet.
A diet rich in lean proteins found in eggs, chicken breast and fish will increase the metabolic rate because protein is difficult to digest and requires more energy to break down in the digestive tract.
Cottage cheese is a good source of slow protein - eat it before bedtime to make your metabolism work all night.
Add spices to the dishes you eat. Spices contain natural substances that boost metabolism. Chilli, curry, ginger, mustard and garlic will help speed up the metabolism for a while. Add them to every meal.
Do at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise per day.
Cardio loading increases the pulse rate, provoking increased blood circulation and accelerated metabolism during the training period. Use interval training for maximum effect.
Use temperature readings to speed up metabolism. When consuming cold water, the body is forced to heat it, which causes a temporary acceleration of metabolism. Similarly, people living in a tropical climate have a faster metabolic rate, since the body is forced to spend effort on cooling the body.
Exercise performed in hot weather also carries an additional metabolic load. The value of energy metabolism in a cold climate can be controlled by suitable clothing, which does not cause overheating of the body.
Coffee speeds up the metabolism due to the caffeine it contains. Drink a cup of coffee before exercise, although the metabolic effect of caffeine is small compared to exercise.
Drink green tea throughout the day.
Studies show that several cups of green tea, along with physical activity, give a more noticeable effect on metabolism than from exercise alone.
Green tea contains a complex of catechins that exhibit antioxidant activity and help the liver process fat into energy.
Avoid hard diets. Diets with greatly reduced calories negatively affect metabolism, slowing down the metabolic rate.
After returning to normal nutrition, the body perceives the previous number of calories as excess and stimulates weight gain.
Add fiber-rich foods to your diet: fresh vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
The body spends additional energy on processing foods with fiber, and some types of fiber are not digested at all, causing the digestive tract to work and increasing the metabolic rate.
Fiber can be additionally consumed in the form of bran or bad s.
1. Eat Dark Chocolate
Many people know that chocolate with a high (from 70%) cocoa content helps to cope with stress. But it turns out that this is not all the magic that lies in the chocolate bar.
Scientists have discovered Metabolic Effects of Dark Chocolate Consumption on Energy, Gut Microbiota, and Stress-Related Metabolism in Free-Living Subjects: just eat 40 grams of this cocoa product every day - and after two weeks your metabolism will receive a decent acceleration.
In particular, this occurs due to the normalization of insulin sensitivity of cells to Effects of chocolate, cocoa, and flavan-3-ols on cardiovascular health: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. As a result, the body actively processes food into energy, and not into fat.
2. Give the sport a minimum of time
A 10-15 minute active training in terms of accelerating metabolism is often more effective than an hour of jogging or some thoughtful yoga of the same duration.
In the United States, High-Intensity Interval Training) has long been popular. These are exercises in which short periods of maximum activity are interspersed with short periods of rest.
Quickly-quickly squeezed from the floor 20 times - rested for 20 seconds - again squeezed 20 times. I jumped over the rope for a minute at maximum speed - rested 15 seconds - again a minute of jumping. 4–5 such cycles once a day (or even once every couple of days) are enough for the metabolism to significantly accelerate Regular Sprints Boost Metabolism within two weeks.
The reasons for acceleration are different. In particular, the absorption of lipids and glucose is improved. High-intensity interval training and calorie restriction promote remodeling of glucose and lip> - those "bricks" from which, if they are not absorbed, the fat is added. In addition, the body gets used to consume more oxygen High-Intensity Interval Training - the main fat burner. Because of this, calorie consumption after a short but intense workout increases dramatically and for a long time (for a period from a couple of hours to a day). Speaking of oxygen ...
3. Breathe deeper
Sometimes you read about the next diet - and you just want to breathe. And it is right! Deep breathing is a much more effective way to lose weight Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How to Lose Weight by Changing the Way You Breathe, rather than strict diet restrictions (generally, strict diets are more likely to make you better than lose weight, and Lifehacker already wrote about this).
And the logic here is simple: the deeper you breathe, the more oxygen gets into the blood and the more actively the process of processing food, including fats and sugar, into energy is performed. Reproducibility study for free-breathing measurements of pyruvate metabolism using hyperpolarized (13) C in the heart .
4. Drink cold water
Everyone losing weight must have heard: if you drink a glass of water 20-30 minutes before a meal, eat less. But did you know that if you drink water directly from the refrigerator, it will at least double the effect?
Cold water will not only fill the stomach (which means you will feel full), but also make the body spend extra calories to warm up. Half a liter of such water - and the metabolic rate will increase Water-induced thermogenesis by 30%. Until you get warm.
5. Eat before bedtime
From the point of view of those who seek to maintain or lose weight, it sounds blasphemous. But scientists from the University of Florida discovered The Effect of Casein Protein Prior to Sleep on Fat Metabolism in Obese Men: a light snack before bed can improve nightly metabolism, in particular, activate fat processing.
The study was conducted with the participation of men suffering from obesity, and, of course, needs to be re-checked on more average people, but still it makes sense to take into account its results.
Yes! A light snack in this context is a portion of not more than 150 kcal with a predominance of protein.
6. Get enough sleep
Lack of sleep is a sure way to slow down the metabolism of Sleep and Metabolism: An Overview and gain weight. In particular, lack of sleep dramatically lowers leptin levels, an important hormone that regulates energy intake and appetite.
In order not to insert sticks into the wheels of your own metabolism, try regularly and get enough sleep. Remember: in the matter of normalizing weight, this is no less important than regular training and a balanced diet.
Causes of metabolic disorders
Depending on individual indicators, the quality of metabolism changes. We single out the main causes of metabolic disorders.
Reason # 1. Calorie deficiency
The main factor affecting the slowdown of metabolism is the frequent use of low-fat and low-calorie foods. As a result of improper nutrition of such products, the body does not receive enough macro- and microelements necessary for the full functioning of internal organs.
From here begins a tremendous stress for the body, it gives the brain a signal about the lack of those same elements. The first negative factor is the deposition of fat "in reserve", the second important aspect is the slowdown in metabolic processes. A similar feature is achieved so that the body has enough vitamins and energy value for normal activity.
Reason number 2. Low physical activity
A sedentary, in particular a sedentary, lifestyle leads to a slowdown in metabolism, this fact has been proved repeatedly. A person who eats properly does not have bad habits and does sports without losing weight. This is achieved through a balanced approach, the main feature of which is full-fledged physical activity.
During sports, the heartbeat increases significantly, as a result of which the blood circulation is significantly accelerated. Also, the body is saturated with a large amount of oxygen, which leads to the breakdown of adipose tissue. In addition, a sports person has developed muscles, which in mass exceeds the fatty layer. Since it is the muscles that burn fat, weight loss occurs.
Reason number 3. Inappropriate eating
Moreover, vitamins and minerals are absorbed in only small portions, as a result of which fractional nutrition will be the optimal solution for accelerating metabolism. Throw energy to the body to maintain vital activity. Digestion speeds up the metabolism, as a result of which fats are broken down faster. Otherwise, the metabolism will enter the "rest" mode and will set aside reserves with those rare meals that you saturate it.
Reason number 4. Dehydration
It is known that a person contains more than 80% of water, so dehydration threatens with serious problems. Not many people know that metabolism is the conversion of vitamins and minerals from one phase to another. Similar processes occur in the intercellular fluid. With a lack of water, metabolism slows down, which leads to weight gain and a large accumulation of fat around the internal organs.
For a full life, a person needs a minimum of 2.4 liters. water per day, while it should be filtered, drinking. The body does not perceive juices, fruit drinks, teas and other drinks for water, keep this in mind.
Reason number 5. Lack of minerals and vitamins
A lack of vitamins provokes a slowdown in metabolism. Fresh fruits and vegetables contain a lot of water, which a person needs for a full life. Every athlete knows that building muscle and getting enough energy comes with taking vitamin complexes. This is especially true for the transition from summer to autumn and from winter to spring. At this time, it is very important to provide the body with complexes, supplements, proteins, fats and carbohydrates (in limited quantities).
How to speed up metabolism
The rate of metabolic processes in the body depends on many factors. These include total body weight, gender, age, adipose tissue size, the presence of chronic or acquired diseases.
Method number 1. Drink plenty of fluids
As mentioned earlier, a slowdown in metabolic processes provokes a lack of water in the body. It makes sense to start the acceleration procedure from this moment.
Drink at least 2.6-3 liters of filtered water per day. In addition, lean on kefir or yogurt (fat content from 1 to 3%), milk (fat content from 1.5 to 5%), freshly squeezed juices (citrus, carrot, tomato, cabbage and berry, etc.). Also do not forget about green tea in moderation (it leaches calcium from bones), herbal infusions, unsweetened compote and fruit drinks.
In the summer, do not allow dehydration, drink as much water as necessary for your body weight. Prefer cold or melt water. As a result, the body spends more energy to warm it, so the metabolism is automatically accelerated. Drink 1 glass immediately after morning awakening so that the signal “time to wake up” arrives in the brain.
Method number 2. Go in for sports
Active physical training accelerates blood circulation and, as a result, all metabolic processes in the body. It is not necessary to exhaust yourself to exhaustion, it is enough to do exercises in the mornings and visit one of your favorite sections. Sign up for a pilot lesson in Pilates (breathing exercises), stretching (stretching), water aerobics, ballroom or sports dancing, etc.
Start to swing the press at home, squat, push up, jump with a skipping rope, exercise on a stationary bike. Consider visiting the pool; swimming works great for muscles. Lovers of power loads are recommended to enroll in the gym. For those who prefer cardio, jumps in place or simulators such as “step”, “ski”, “step”, etc. are suitable.
Method number 3. Arrange proper nutrition
The organization of proper food intake consists of several stages. The first thing to do is balance your breakfast. Without fail, it must be balanced, nutritious. Such a move will start the metabolism, as a result of which the body "wakes up" and begins to digest food.
The second thing you need to do is eat fractionally, in small portions. The number of meals should not be less than 5 times a day, while it is necessary to eat every 2-3 hours.
Learn to eat only wholesome food, refuse fast food, snacks, sausages, canned food. Lean on legumes and cereals, vegetables, meat, fruits, fish. All of these products accelerate the metabolism, therefore, perfectly contribute to weight loss. Completely refuse fatty and fried foods, cook dishes for a couple or in a slow cooker.
Metabolism Accelerating Products
- Green tea. Drink about 3-4 cups of green or herbal tea daily, it speeds up metabolism by 4-6% per day. In this case, the first use may occur in the morning, as green tea helps to awaken much better than black coffee.
- Seafood Cocktail. Make your weekly diet so that you can eat seafood every other day. It can be a fish, a cocktail of mussels, shrimp, octopus, squid. Add the listed ingredients to salads, first and second courses. Combine them with nuts, fresh vegetables, and flaxseeds.
- Pepper. Metabolism enhancing foods include ground red and chili peppers. Add the listed spices to the main and second courses to begin the process of burning fat.
- Coffee. Natural ground coffee beans have long been famous for their beneficial properties. Due to the caffeine contained in the composition, fat deposits are broken down, metabolism is accelerated. Drink no more than 2 cups of coffee per day, preferably in the morning.
- Grapefruit. Take the habit of eating half a grapefruit daily or replace it with two slices of lemon, put in tea without sugar. Not for nothing, based on the data of citrus fruits, there are many methods of losing weight.
- Mustard Powder. It is a bulk mixture that is considered a natural fat burner, do not confuse it with a purchased pasty composition. The process of losing weight will be faster if you use mustard seeds. Soak them in filtered water, insist about 3-4 hours, then use in small portions throughout the day. The method is suitable only for those who do not have diseases or disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Protein. A good fat burner is pure protein or protein found in white meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese, cheese products, etc. If you wish, buy a jar of sports nutrition (the amount of active ingredients is more than 80%).
- Apple cider vinegar. Buy apple cider vinegar at a concentration of 6–9% in a health food store, dress them with salads or consume them yourself, diluting with water (at the rate of 30 ml of product per 300 ml of liquid).
- Cinnamon. Particularly relevant is the use of cinnamon for people with diabetes. Ground or leguminous composition reduces the level of sucrose, normalizes glucose, and fights the disease. In addition, the mixture burns fat. Add cinnamon to coffee, tea, main dishes and salads.
- Beans and cereals. Start the day with oatmeal or flax porridge. Prepare soup for lunch with beans, beans, and other crops of this kind. Add the product to salads, eat as a snack with whole grain bread, red fish or meat.
In addition to playing sports and normalizing proper nutrition, it is important to adjust your lifestyle.
- First of all, alternate the calorie content of food. Since the human body quickly adapts even to harsh changes, you will not achieve results by eating the same foods. Make the menu in such a way that every 3 days the diet changes from low-calorie to high-calorie. Such a move will help to avoid stressful situations that arise after eating too fatty or energetic foods.
- Important attention, especially to athletes, should be given to the regime of work and rest. If possible, go to bed no later than 22.00, while you do not need to rest before dinner, wake up at 8-9 in the morning. The total number of hours of sleep should not be less than eight. Observe food hygiene, the last meal should be at least 4 hours before going to bed. If you are hungry, drink a glass of milk or kefir with cinnamon.
- To accelerate metabolic processes, it is very important to abandon bad habits. Due to the resinous formations that form in the lung cavity, the vessels narrow and the blood circulation slows down. For this reason, quit smoking or reduce the number of cigarettes to 3. knocking, gradually abandoning the bad habit completely. The same applies to alcohol: ethyl alcohol and its vapors adversely affect the activity of all internal organs, skin, hair.
It is easy to speed up the metabolism in order to lose weight, if you have sufficient knowledge regarding the vital functions of the body. First of all, balance your diet and increase the amount of water consumed per day. Start playing sports, pay due attention to sleep, alternate the calorie content of food.
How to speed up the metabolism in the body
In an effort to lose weight, girls heroically maintain strict diets and minimize calorie restriction. Some limit their diet so much that food does not even overlap the level of basal metabolism. It seemed that under such severe restrictions, the weight should melt before our eyes. But the paradox is that this does not happen. After a while, the weight stops. Cases when it rises are not rare. Nutritionists claim that there are several effective ways to speed up the metabolism in a woman’s body and safely get rid of hated kilograms.
How to find out your metabolic rate
First, let's define the concept of “metabolism”. This indicator characterizes the amount of energy needed by the body for its life. The used energy at rest is determined, without taking into account any physical activity. Metabolism depends on many factors:
- individual characteristics - age, gender, weight, height,
- lifestyle - nutrition, physical activity,
- complexion - the ratio of body fat to muscle mass.
The formula for calculating the indicator for women is as follows:
Metabolic rate = 655 + (9.6 x B) + (1.8 x P) - (4.7 x G),
where B - weight in kg, P - height in cm, G - age in years.
The metabolic rate is measured in kcal / day.
Knowing this value, simply calculate the number of kilocalories per day depending on the level of physical activity. For this, the metabolic rate must be multiplied by a factor:
- 1.2 - for office workers, with a sedentary lifestyle,
- 1,375 - for those engaged in physical education 1-2 times a week,
- 1.55 - with 3-5 single visits to the gym per week,
- 1,725 - daily sports
- 1.9 - increased physical activity.
If you are faced with the task of losing weight, then you need to compare the number of calories consumed per day and metabolic rate, taking into account your lifestyle. With the adjustment of these parameters, your task will be successfully completed.
What affects the metabolism
To find out how to speed up the metabolism for effective weight loss, you need to know what slows down the metabolic processes. There are several “enemies” of a good figure:
- unhealthy diet (excess of high-calorie foods, malnutrition),
- lack of active physical activity,
- water imbalance, dehydration,
- lack of vitamins in the diet,
- lack of sleep, improper sleep (falling asleep after midnight),
- stress, lack of positive emotions, bad mood.
Even with proper nutrition, in case of digestive disorders, a person can gain excess weight
Not only overeating, but also a passion for diets leads to weight gain. Why is a severe food restriction causing the appearance of extra pounds? Suppose you decide to lose 5-10 kg within 3-5 days. If a minimum of 1200 kcal is required for normal metabolism, then high-speed diets suggest reducing them to 700 kcal. For the body, accustomed to the previous number of calories, this is real stress. It goes into austerity mode. Over time, these 700 kcal are enough for the body to maintain all metabolic processes. The weight is leaving. Having suffered on a diet, all losing weight eventually switch to a normal diet. And the usual 1200 kcal will be redundant. The difference immediately turns into new fat reserves. The longer the diet lasts, the greater the risk of gaining extra pounds.
Sometimes laziness and dislike of sports are the reasons for the unsuccessful attempt to lose weight. Most make the same mistake - cut their diet as much as possible, but forget about physical activity. It is much easier for many to go on a rigid diet than to stop leading an inactive lifestyle. Do not forget that fast diets lead to loss of muscle mass. And this negatively affects the figure.
Modern scientists have proved that the key to a healthy and slim figure is not only healthy food, but also proper metabolism
What are the sad consequences of physical inactivity:
- The presence of fat deposits on the stomach and waist, which all women dream of getting rid of, is a sign of the most dangerous fat in the body - visceral. It accumulates around the internal organs and causes serious illnesses. Just six months of a sedentary lifestyle and visceral fat increases by 9%.
- The lack of systematic physical education, office sedentary work lead to gradual muscle atrophy. Their weakness does not allow the body to function fully.
Doctors confidently state that physical inactivity does more harm than alcohol and cigarettes.
Equally important to accelerate the deception of substances is ordinary water. Why are nutritionists so urgent to drink about 2 liters per day? There are 2 reasons for this. A sufficient daily fluid volume contributes to the full functioning of all systems of the human body. With the help of water, the body is cleansed of toxins, toxins. With a lack of water, the liver is forced to work not to burn fat cells, but to replenish the missing fluid. This is one of the evidence of the harmful effects of high-speed diets on the process of losing weight. Most of these diets are aimed at reducing volume by eliminating excess fluid.
Many do not drink enough water due to fear of edema. But they can signal both an excess and a lack of fluid in the body. The body in this case also includes an economical mode, as during a limited diet. The body is forced to stock up on water in the form of edema.
Metabolism depends on the body's ability to process fats, proteins, carbohydrates that come with food into nutrients. The lack of certain vitamins immediately causes the failure of this process. Here are the facts confirming the role of vitamins:
- B vitamins (thiamine, B6, B12) help metabolize fats, carbohydrates, proteins.
- The goal of vitamin D is to control your blood sugar.
- Increased Ca in combination with Vitamin D contributes to weight adjustment.
- With a lack of Fe, the muscles suffer from a lack of oxygen and cannot burn fat in the right amount.
Ways to speed up your metabolism
Having found out what are the causes of a slowed metabolism, you can adjust its speed. Proper nutrition, active sports, maintaining water balance - 3 key points that contribute to weight loss.
Balanced and proper nutrition - the foundation of a healthy life
How to use metabolism to start metabolism and speed up metabolism? Schedule your meals first. Avoid frequent snacks, late dinners. Do not refuse breakfast. It must be balanced to start the metabolism for the whole day.
Violation of these rules leads to the appearance of extra pounds. The diet should consist of three main meals and two snacks. The diet should be balanced, it is necessary to completely eliminate harmful, high-calorie foods. Change the way you cook. Try to avoid fried, give preference to baking, stewing, boiling. 70% of your diet should be vegetables.
Pay attention to the amount of food eaten. You can not greatly limit yourself. Food speeds up the metabolism: 10% of the daily calorie intake is burned for its processing. Sometimes nutritionists even recommend slightly increasing the amount of food taken. This is necessary when the plateau effect is observed during prolonged weight loss. But this does not mean that portions should be measured in kilograms.
Remember the main rule: how much food you threw into your stomach, the same amount should be used up.
If you have a slow metabolism, then the best way to speed it up is to go in for sports. Any physical activity - mopping, shopping, even sex - leads to a waste of calories. But it is various physical exercises that contribute to rapid weight loss. During classes, muscle building occurs, it gradually displaces fat. Muscles spend calories even at rest. The more muscle mass, the more calories burned, regardless of whether you are at this time in the gym or lying on the couch in front of the TV.
Exercise ensures the proper functioning of all human organs
The greatest effect is given by power and aerobic exercises. They accelerate the metabolism even after the workout. A good way to speed up metabolic processes is to change the rate of physical activity. During the exercises, increase the pace for 30-60 seconds, and then do the usual pace for 1.5 minutes. If you do several of these approaches, the body will consume more oxygen, and this will inevitably lead to increased metabolism.
It doesn’t matter what you decide to do: fitness, jogging, dancing, cycling. The main thing is that these classes be systematic.
Compliance with the drinking regime allows you to both speed up the metabolism and lose weight. The norm of water for each individual is 30 ml per 1 kg of weight. You should not drink more than 2 liters. With increased physical exertion and in the hot season, the amount of fluid you drink can be increased so that there is no dehydration. If weight does not decrease as a result of active sports, nutritionists are not advised to reduce the amount of fluid consumed. Water retention results in weight loss.
To prevent this from happening, you must follow certain rules:
- Drink water in small portions, in small sips.
- To start metabolic processes in the morning, drink a glass of water on an empty stomach.
- To avoid swelling, try to drink most of the liquid in the morning.
Adequate water reduces hunger, and leads to less food intake. At the same time, cold water stimulates metabolic processes. The body spends energy to heat it.