Muesli is of different types, differing in ingredients and in the way of cooking. The most useful are raw muesli, that is, cooked without heat treatment. They consist of dried fruits, nuts and rolled flakes. Most of them have no preservatives, sweeteners or colorings.
There are also baked muesli, which are mixed with honey, natural juices or oils and baked for a short time. Such a product, of course, tastes better, but more caloric and not suitable for those who limit sugar intake.
There are also muesli bars that add various sweeteners, including chocolate, and many preservatives. This product does not benefit the body and is not recommended by nutritionists or healthy food advocates either as breakfast or as a snack.
Muesli is intended for consumption for breakfast or as a daily snack, as this product is not low in calories and does not contain protein. But it has a lot of fiber, vitamins, minerals and complex carbohydrates, which are processed into energy during the day. Thanks to this composition, muesli has a beneficial effect on digestion and causes a feeling of satiety for a long time.
Muesli can be eaten raw, washed down with, for example, tea or coffee. However, they are best digested and absorbed by the body if they are slightly softened with any liquid. For those who want to lose weight, it is best to steam muesli with hot boiled water. For the rest, including children, warm milk is perfect.
Muesli also goes well with natural fresh yogurt, yogurt and even kefir. In this case, beneficial sour-milk bacteria also enter the intestines. But nutritionists do not recommend using such a product with juice, since it contains a lot of sugar. In extreme cases, you can drink them only with natural freshly squeezed juice. In this case, it is better to eat muesli without additional sweeteners.
How to make muesli yourself
Such a healthy breakfast can be prepared on your own. To do this, just mix natural oatmeal, add a few pumpkin seeds, different nuts, any fruits or dried fruits. And then steamed with a warm dairy product or plain boiled water. As a sweetener, it is best to use natural honey.
How to eat muesli
Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
A team of content managers carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
Muesli is a general German term for a wide variety of cereal flakes, mainly consisting of oats, often with the addition of dried fruits, nuts, seeds and other cereals in the form of granules or flakes. They are a tasty and healthy choice for breakfast and go well with milk or yogurt. If you want to learn some interesting ways to include them in your diet, learn the basic technique of making muesli, as well as some of its variations to adapt the dish to your own tastes.
What are muesli, varieties
Muesli can be both raw and baked. Without heat treatment, they can contain various useful additives - from nuts to dried fruits. Also, natural juice, honey, and sometimes even vegetable oil are often added to baked muesli. Baked breakfasts are baked at low temperatures. As for the preparation of muesli in the oven, then they become crispy and incredibly tasty.
Unwanted Ingredients in Shopping Muesli
In fact, such breakfasts are far from always helpful. Sometimes their use is fraught with weight gain. However, this is often the case with store cereals. Especially their use is undesirable because of the following ingredients:
- The most harmful are products with chocolate or honey. The thing is that a mixture of these components is the cause of the accumulation of toxins in the body and excess calories. Buying products with these supplements is highly undesirable.
- We also do not recommend purchasing with coconut. It is a high-calorie supplement.
- Chocolate chips and honey are also undesirable for consumption, as they are high-calorie additives.
- Tropical fruits are also an undesirable supplement for store muesli. They are pre-treated with chemicals.
Muesli is very healthy. This product is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is consumed by many people who adhere to proper nutrition. By the way, with their help, you can save time on cooking breakfast. After all, they do not need to cook as long as cereal. They are also very nutritious and after their use you will not feel hunger for a long time.
They contain a large number of natural ingredients and vitamins. After such a breakfast, a person will feel a surge of strength and energy. They help to remove toxins and harmful substances from the body. They also affect the acceleration of the brain.
It is no secret that the product is used as a means to reduce excess weight. But is this true? In fact, they are a high-calorie product. Their energy values range up to 500 kcal per 100 g. And since this product is very popular with various additives, it becomes even more high-calorie. This is especially true for fried muesli. That is why, if you want to lose weight, then use muesli without additives. We also recommend buying muesli of natural origin.
Buy breakfast with dried fruits and natural freshly squeezed juices. Otherwise, you will notice a clear increase in weight.
How to choose and eat to lose weight?
When buying a product, carefully read what is written on its packaging. On the label you will see the content of sugar, dried fruits, nuts and seeds, which the manufacturer guarantees.
Of course, it is up to you to decide whether to use granola with nutritional supplements or not. By the way, many experts consider food additives and flavorings to be the norm. They are considered safe to eat.
However, if the manufacturer did not give complete information about the presence of additives in the muesli, then this is a clear sign of the manufacturer’s dishonesty. We recommend sealed packaging made from a combination or polymer material. Leakproof packaging is recommended when you store them in suitable conditions. It is very important that they are not damp or saturated with extraneous odors.
How to eat muesli
Muesli is recommended to use the same way as simple cereal. You just need to pour boiling water over them and wait for the time that is written on the product packaging. By the way, cereal flakes will be a good alternative for a full meal.
In order for them to be as satisfying and wholesome as possible, you will need to pour them with hot milk, fruit juice or yogurt. Pour in proportions one to one. You do not need to fill in only hot liquid and pour warm milk and heat it in the microwave.
By the way, if you plan to have breakfast with muesli, we recommend soaking the cereal overnight in coconut milk. We do not recommend eating more than 55g of muesli daily.
Baked muesli is not very healthy, as well as fried. If you want breakfasts to be crispy, you will need to bake them for half an hour, or until they get a golden hue.
If the products have been pretreated by a thermal method, then they can be filled with milk. If the muesli is raw, then they can be poured with milk for only a few minutes. Do not forget that in order to avoid adding new pounds, you need to use only non-nutritive milk.
Of course, muesli with the addition of yogurt becomes very tasty. Also, yogurt not only makes muesli tastier, but also healthier. It contains useful components that are good for digestion. Yogurt also significantly improves the taste of muesli. You can adjust the calorie content of your dish with the help of fat content and the amount of yogurt.
Kefir contains the properties of yogurt and milk. Kefir helps soften dry flakes no worse than milk. It has a dense consistency, as does yogurt. Also, the composition of kefir includes all the disease substances that turn milk sugar into glucose. Especially this option for eating flakes is suitable for those who have lactose intolerance.
For sports tasks, the calorie content of kefir is selected. For example, skim milk product is most relevant for runners, gymnasts in the process of constant training. High fat kefir is recommended to be added to granola.
Most often, the mixture is prepared with apples, bananas or pineapples. Fruits make breakfast very tasty and healthy. In order to make the meal hearty, we recommend adding bananas, mangoes or kiwi. You can also use dried fruits for a change. However, before adding any fruit or dried fruit, look at the fruit calorie table.
Bars are called a very popular method of eating muesli. It’s easy to cook them, and you can use them anywhere. You will need to mix granola with a few tablespoons of peanut butter or any other butter. The choice of oil depends on your taste preferences.
You can also add nuts or dried fruits to the bars. Again, at your discretion. For cooking, you need to distribute the mixture on a baking sheet. Distribute with a thick layer and then refrigerate. An excellent link will be honey or ghee. The mixture only needs to be distributed over the baking sheet and allowed to harden.
Bars are intended for a quick snack, but their use can hardly be considered a healthy diet. The thing is that in their composition there are sugar, preservatives and various flavorings. If you hold on to proper nutrition and keep a close eye on your figure, then such bars are clearly not for you.
Since fried muesli contains a sweetener, eating is highly undesirable. By the way, such products are the main reason for gaining weight. That is why if you want to lose weight, then you are advised to refuse from their use.
How to cook your own muesli at home, how to store a blank
In order to cook breakfast yourself you will need:
- Heat the oven to a temperature of 180 degrees Celsius. On a dry baking sheet, you need to pour out instant oatmeal and put them in the oven for five minutes.
- When cooking, do not forget about the flakes and stir them from time to time. It is very important that the flakes are not burnt.
- After five minutes have passed and the cereal is cooked, you can get the pan out of the oven. However, do not rush to turn off the oven.
By the way, according to this recipe you can cook not only oatmeal, but also a mixture of various cereals. For example, you can use buckwheat, wheat and rye. At your discretion. Flakes will turn out to be tasty and as useful as possible. The thing is that all cereals contain the necessary set of useful substances.
- Take a deep bottom pan. Fry sesame seeds without oil. It will take several minutes to fry them. You will be able to understand that cereals are ready after they turn yellow. Then you can remove the pan and pour the seeds to the cereal.
- Then start frying pumpkin seeds. It takes five minutes to get ready.
- Put dried apricots and raisins in a colander and pour boiling water.
- Place them on a napkin. It is necessary that the moisture is completely absorbed.
- Then crush dried apricots into small strips and add raisins pumpkin seeds to a baking sheet.
- Do not wash dates and figs. Such dried fruits are almost always sold in packages. They are clean. Finely chop the dates and figs and add to other products.
- Then send roasted peanuts and powder from peels of orange or lemon to the total mass. Mix everything thoroughly and place the pan in the oven. Preheat the oven. The baking sheet should be placed there for several minutes.
- Then transfer the hot muesli from the pan to the bowl. Melt the honey in a water bath, pour it into a container and mix everything thoroughly. After cool at room temperature.
- You only need to place the prepared mixture in a clean bowl with a lid.
- Your most wholesome and hearty breakfast is ready! Enjoy your meal! You can add pieces of fruit or berries to cooked homemade muesli. Pour milk over everything.
When use is prohibited
Of course, like any product, muesli has its own limitations. In some cases, this product may harm the health of the sport. When to use muesli is undesirable:
- It is undesirable to use granola for athletes during an exacerbation of the gastrointestinal tract. Muesli has a rough structure, they are not subjected to heat treatment. They also require special efforts of the digestive system to digest them. Their use is the main reason why the general condition of a person worsens. Thus, the treatment of a person is significantly delayed. So that the flakes do not harm from their use, it is recommended to refuse during exacerbation of gastrointestinal pathologies.
- It is also undesirable to use mixtures containing unwanted additives. Any athlete has their own list.
- If a person has gluten intolerance, then it is recommended to refrain from using such mixtures.
- Diabetics do not want to eat cereal with the addition of honey or other sweet fruits. They must be excluded from the diet.
- As for athletes, then under their personal schedule you need to choose the right calorie content of dishes. If there is a significant discrepancy between calorie content and energy expenditure, then an undesirable weight gain is guaranteed. Also, if you reduce the nutritional value of the product amid increased loads, the human body will be noticeably depleted. This is especially fraught for athletes, as their athletic performance will be noticeably worsened.
- Excessive use of muesli is especially undesirable. Conventional mixtures do not contain vitamin C. With prolonged consumption of such flakes, human immunity will be noticeably reduced.
In conclusion, note that muesli is tasty and healthy. If you change the composition of the mixture and the number of substances included in it, it will not be difficult to find the most suitable combination.
Have you noticed a mistake? Select it and press Ctrl + Enterto let us know.