The cold temperature of the refrigerator promotes the polymerization of the phenols contained in the banana peel from the enzymes contained in the banana (polyphenol oxidase) into polyphenols. This leads to blackening of the banana peel. Most people have a negative attitude to blackened bananas, as this suggests rotting, but in a warmer climate. The bananas stored in the refrigerator will remain harder than those stored in the heat on the countertops, which soften very quickly. In order to keep bananas stored in the refrigerator yellow and pleasing to the eye, here is a quick way to store bananas in the refrigerator.
How to speed up the ripening of bananas
In order for bananas to arrive fresh from the southern countries to the consumer, they are picked and packed long before the ripening period. Producers, using special tricks, extend the shelf life of bananas.
Often, having bought bananas, the consumer brings them home immature. This problem can be easily fixed using the following methods:
- Pack the fruits in a paper bag and store for a while. Bananas have the ability to secrete a gas that accelerates their ripening - ethylene. A paper bag prevents it from dispersing around the room and speeds up the ripening of fruits. A bag made of polyethylene will not allow air to penetrate the fruit, because of which ethylene will be produced more slowly. The following subtleties are important here:
- At home, put in a package of bananas other fruits (ideally: pears, apples, quince or kiwi), which also emit such gas. One of the most ripe fruits can even be cut into pieces, which will accelerate the ripening of other fruits.
- You can speed up the long ripening period of bananas if you store them indoors, with a comfortable temperature (from 18 to 20 degrees). If the apartment is warmer, fruits can ripen faster, but not too evenly. But storing the latter in conditions of high humidity can contribute to the formation of mold, because of which they can deteriorate.
- A low level of humidity also does not contribute to improving the taste of bananas. Even fresh fruits, with such storage at home, can lose their fresh and sweet taste. In this case, a working humidifier or small containers of water placed around the room will help.
- Green bananas that are stored correctly can ripen in 2 days. Therefore, it is important to look at them in a timely manner in order to prevent their damage.
- You can help the fruits ripen in the oven:
- preheat the oven to 80 degrees (in order to prevent the fruits from blackening, do not exceed this mark),
- put bananas on a baking sheet previously covered with baking paper (you do not need to peel them)
- literally after 30 minutes, bananas can darken, you don’t need to keep them for a long time, so as not to spoil them,
- Now put the fruit in the refrigerator or use as intended.
- Another life hack involves freezing fruits, here it is worth remembering that this method makes them blacken. In this case, use them to make a smoothie.
How to store bananas at home
In order to keep fruits unchanged longer, it is worth remembering some tricks that depend on the appearance of bananas:
- Green, with a dense ribbed skin: these fruits are not ripe, they will best be stored in a dark place at room temperature.
- Ripe banana with a greenish tail and smooth skin immediately eat. It will remain for a day on a fruit plate on the table.
- Bananas with a dark skin, with brownish spots, soft in structure: do not store in principle, immediately put into cooking.
General principles for the proper storage of bananas:
- It is best to divide the bunch into separate copies, which will allow them to mature evenly and not spoil from close contact.
- Wrap the bottom of the fruit near the legs with cling film and securely fastening it with tape.
- In order to prevent accelerated ripening of fruits, it is better to store them outside of packaging or bags.
- Keep the fruits in the refrigerator, they will ripen a little slower here. However, they can begin to darken, which does not affect the taste, can only spoil the aesthetic appearance.
- It is best to keep bananas away from other fruits, otherwise they will not lie for a long time, helping to ripen each other due to the secreted ethylene.
Separately, it is worth considering the storage of bananas that are already peeled. There are several ways:
- Freeze fruits by slicing them into washers and placing them in a plastic container. So bananas can lie for up to six months, then use them as a filling for pies or chop into cocktails.
- To extend the term of sliced fruit for a day, you can by soaking them in an aqueous solution of vinegar (1 to 4). Put the fruits in a container and hide in a cool place.
- To protect fruits sliced on the holiday table from darkening, sprinkle or grease them with lemon or orange juice.
Is it possible to store bananas in the refrigerator
Some are of the opinion that it is best to keep the fruit fresh and beautiful only the refrigerator. However, with regard to bananas, storage is optimal for them at a temperature of about +14 degrees, while sharp changes should not be allowed.
An ideal place for these fruits is a basement, in which it is possible to maintain a humidity level of 90%, provided that there is the possibility of ventilation. Wrap the fruits in foil, this will save them unchanged for a week.
In general, storing bananas in the refrigerator is not the best option, due to the following reasons:
- the skin may darken
- the flesh becomes soft and mushy,
- cold accelerates the ripening of bananas, because of which they can begin to rot prematurely,
- sharply changing heat to cold or vice versa (for example, if a bunch of bananas was removed from the refrigerator, one was broken off and removed again), they can ruin the taste of bananas and deprive them of some vitamins.
How long can I store bananas?
In order not to worry about the fact that recently purchased fruits are rapidly deteriorating, foresee in advance why and how soon they will be needed, and based on this, purchase fruits.
- If bananas are bought for future use, with a margin of a week or more, it is better to prefer green fruits, with a hard skin, but without visible scratches, spots and damage that are not yet ripe. They do not need to be frozen, just put in a dark place where they are perfectly preserved, gradually ripening.
- If bananas are acquired to immediately eat, ripe fruits should be preferred (have a rich yellowish-straw hue, dense peel and have no visible defects on the skin). Such fruits are stored for 1-2 days at room temperature.
- If fruits are needed for making smoothies or smoothies, buy slightly darkened bananas, with brownish streaks on the peel. They have a juicy pulp, which is in a mushy state. You can’t store them, because they will begin to deteriorate quickly, it’s better to clean them and put them into action immediately after purchase.
- Fruits whose skin has a shade of gray should not be bought at all. This color indicates that they were lying in a room where it was hot, cold or repeatedly placed in the refrigerator, most likely, their taste will be hopelessly spoiled.
It is very important not to store bananas at home in a plastic bag in which they were put up in the store. In it, fruits can rot very quickly. Fully ripened bananas are stored in a refrigerator, where they (a little darker at the same time) may well lie for up to 2 weeks without losing their taste.
How to prevent blackening of bananas
Most quickly, these fruits darken if they are exposed to the cold: this can happen if the fruits were bought on a frosty day and the hostess carried them down the street for a long time or because of their storage in the refrigerator.
Bananas can darken because:
- They were stored in a bag made of polyethylene. It is best to deploy them and leave them unpacked.
- They began to deteriorate even on the store counter (this is noticeable by the smallest dark spots that cover the peel of these fruits).
- Bananas were stored next to apples that actively emit ethylene.
Beware of making such mistakes, you protect the bananas from the ugly darkening of the peel. Although this feature, most often (if the fruit is not spoiled), does not affect their taste.
How to Preserve Green Bananas
To save bananas with a green skin peel, not allowing them to ripen, follow these rules:
- you can’t leave them in the sunlight, for example, on the windowsill, especially in the summer,
- it’s best to place the fruit in a dark, dry place, where it will not be too cold or hot,
- An ideal storage place would be a pantry,
- pack the fruits in a paper bag, ideally, hang the clusters vertically (as they hang on a palm tree, ripening),
- Do not separate the fruits from each other, as they will begin to deteriorate faster.
How to peel a banana according to etiquette
A banana is a fruit that (if it is not cut into pieces beforehand) is quite problematic to eat beautifully and accurately.
Etiquette rules imply the following:
- Before serving, wash the bananas thoroughly, dry, cut off the top and tail, and make small cuts along the peel on either side,
- they are served on a table on a fruit plate lying separately from each other,
- take a banana from a common plate and place on its own, intended for dessert,
- with the help of a special knife and a fork for fruit, the peel comes down from the banana,
- then the fruit is carefully cut into small pieces and sent to the mouth with a fork,
- the peel in this case, remains to lie on the dessert plate,
- in advance (before serving), these fruits are not peeled or cut.