When working on a laptop, some users are faced with the problem of sticky keys. This is expressed in the impossibility of continuing typing or using hot combinations. Also in editors and text fields, an endless input of one character can be observed. In this article, we will analyze the causes of such problems and provide solutions.
The keys on the laptop stick
The reasons leading to this behavior of the keyboard are divided into two groups - software and mechanical. In the first case, we are dealing with options built into the system designed to facilitate the work of people with disabilities in the OS. In the second - with violations of the keys due to pollution or physical malfunctions.
Reason 1: Software
All versions of Windows have a special function that allows you to apply combinations not in the usual way - by clamping the necessary keys, but by pressing them in turn. If this option is activated, the following may happen: you click, for example, CTRL, and then continued to work. In this case CTRL will remain pressed, which will make it impossible to perform some actions using the keyboard. Also, the functions of many programs imply different operations when the auxiliary keys are pressed (CTRL, ALT, SHIFT etc.).
Correcting the situation is quite easy, just turn off sticking. “Seven” will appear in the example, but the actions described below will be absolutely identical for other versions of Windows.
- Several times in a row (at least five) press the key Shiftthen the dialog box of the function described above will open. Please note that these actions (window call) may need to be performed twice. Next, follow the link to Accessibility Center.
We remove the very first daw in the settings block.
For reliability, you can also eliminate the possibility of sticking on when pressed repeatedly Shiftby unchecking the corresponding box.
Click Apply and close the window.
Reason 2: Mechanical
If the cause of sticking is a malfunction or contamination of the keyboard, then, in addition to constantly pressing auxiliary keys, we can observe a continuous set of one letter or number. In this case, you need to try to clean the keyboard with improvised means or using special kits that can be found in retail.
To perform some actions, you may need a partial or complete disassembly of the laptop. If the laptop is under warranty, then these steps are best performed at an authorized service center, otherwise the possibility of free maintenance will be lost.
After dismantling, it is necessary to carefully separate the film with pads and paths, rinse it with soapy water or ordinary water, and then dry it as soon as possible. To do this, dry wipes or a special cloth called “microfiber” (sold in hardware stores) that does not leave behind particles of material are usually used.
Never use harsh liquids, such as alcohol, thinner or kitchen cleaners, for cleaning. This can lead to the oxidation of a thin layer of metal and, as a result, to the inoperability of the “clave”.
In the event that it is known which key is stuck, you can avoid disassembling the laptop. To do this, remove the upper plastic part of the button with a thin screwdriver or other similar tool. This technique will allow local cleaning of the problem keys.
What is this mode for?
This mode, which can be activated by pressing the Shift key five times, is necessary for people with disabilities. As you can easily guess from the description, it creates some delay after pressing the keys. This is necessary in order to be unable to press several buttons at the same time, the disabled person could activate them one at a time and the keys entered in sequence were recognized by the computer as their simultaneous combination.
For example, calling the task manager with Ctrl + Alt + Del or even changing the language by pressing Alt + Shift may not be the easiest task for people with disabilities. But sticky keys will allow them to simply press the required buttons one after the other.
However, most users do not need this feature. But since the sticking call is enabled in the system by default, from time to time you will occasionally encounter an annoying key sticking launch window, or even accidentally turn it on. Therefore, we will figure out how to disable sticky keys in the system.
Why sticky keys work involuntarily during games
The fact is that games sometimes require us to press the same button several times in a row. And if this turns out to be a button, which, when pressed again, is used to turn on the sticky keys mode, this ends with the game minimizing and a corresponding window appears. Of course, this is very unpleasant and because of this it can lose its game progress (if the game did not turn on the pause when minimizing).
How to clean on Windows XP
In this far from the most modern operating system, disabling key sticking is quite simple. We do the following actions:
- We intentionally call up a window offering to enable sticky keys. To do this, just press the Shift key five times.
- And in this window, we see that, in addition to the option to enable sticking, or to reject it, there is a “Parameters” function, which will allow us to configure sticky keys. Click on this button.
Causes of Sticky Keys on the Keyboard
The cause may be software or a mechanical violation. For example, if the button does not return to its original position, it is likely that garbage has collected under it, because of this the button sticks to the base.
Often there are cases when the button sticks during games. For example, this behavior is characteristic of the “W” key, which is often held by players. The same problem occurs during the inclusion of this mode in the OS settings. If the reason is in the software, this can be fixed without problems.
To exit the sticking mode, it is necessary to perform a certain procedure in the settings. In some cases, the buttons stick on the laptop due to overheating, this can be eliminated by removing the laptop and cleaning all the elements of the cooling system with further processing of thermal grease in the most problematic areas.
How to fix sticky keys
If only a few buttons stick, this can be easily fixed. You need to take something flat, for example, a screwdriver and pick up the sticky button. You can clean the dirt in the connector with a hairdryer, but in cold operation.
Attention! Directly wipe the button with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol and leave to dry. Then it is installed in the nest until the characteristic sound is gently pressed. The same procedure is performed with the remaining sticky buttons.
Depending on the operating system
The sticking mode is activated independently, for this it is simply necessary to hold a certain button for a certain time. In this case, you can hear a squeaky sound. This usually happens during the game, when it is often necessary to keep a certain button pressed. A window pops up on the monitor asking you to enable sticking.
To remove the sticky buttons on a Windows 7 computer, do the following:
- Click "Start", after the "Control Panel".
- Click on "Accessibility".
- After we find “Keyboard facilitation”, then “Simplification of parameters”.
- A window will appear in which you need to remove all the “checkmarks”.
- After, find the line “Sticking parameters”.
- In the parameters you can configure the sticking functions.
In new versions of Windows (version 8 and higher), button sticking is disabled as follows:
- You need to open the panel on the desktop.
- We select “Parameters”, after “Changing parameters”, a window with parameters will open.
- Click "Accessibility", after "Keyboard". Make settings.
Attention! But removing sticking in this way will not work. To do this, use the algorithm described above.
How to eliminate mechanical sticky keys
There are several reasons for the buttons to stick:
- A curved surface, after which certain buttons are at an angle.
- The button has sunk inward. In some cases, this is not a hindrance, since the stick mode is not turned on, and you can make a normal press if you make a little effort. But the aesthetic appearance of the keyboard does not look very attractive.
If you can easily spin up a simple keyboard on your computer yourself (although you are not advised to do this, as it is sometimes difficult to combine the buttons with the contacts below), then it is much more difficult with a laptop. But this can be done independently, without resorting to specialists.
Most often, disassembling laptops begins with the keyboard, it facilitates all operations. Disassembly steps:
- Take a photo of the device to make it easier to remember in which place which button was located.
- Dismantle the broken key (you can just pry it with a screwdriver).
- Fasten back immediately. If the buttons still stick, then the key is in the elevator or the problem is with the spring.
- The surface of the button is fixed to the elevator with clamps. He has several movable mounts. Remove the elevator and inspect for damage. The hardware is probably broken.
- Replace hardware. If everything started working - the problem was in the latch.
Most often, sticking buttons does not require sending the laptop to a service center. In the event that this happened due to software sticking, you can fix it yourself, if mechanical damage is repaired, it is also quite realistic to do it without contacting a repair shop.