Pescara is a small predator that lives mainly in rivers with pebble or sandy shallows. This is not to say that catching a gudgeon is a very popular activity. Nevertheless, the fisherman can be found on any river where this fish is found.
When to catch and what a gudgeon pecks
When catching this fish, fishermen, as a rule, have two goals:
- Get fish with delicious tender meat. Despite the presence of small bones, the gudgeon has an original taste, a set of nutrients and fat content. It can be fried in a pan, baked in the oven or boiled ear.
- It is caught as bait on almost any predatory fish. Particularly suitable is a small gudgeon for catching perch, pike, pikeperch, burbot and chub. In some European countries, fish are specially bred to subsequently feed the salmon family on food.
You can catch a gudgeon almost all year round, moreover, for successful fishing you will not need expensive gear. In most cases, it is caught by summer fishing rods on a float, a little less often - on donks, snacks. As bait on the gudgeon fit:
worm (dung, earthen),
- barley, semolina, bread (vegetable nozzle works better in summer).
Open water fishing
In general, gudgeon fishing begins almost immediately after the ice melts. As the water warms up, the nibble becomes more confident, intensifying until the beginning of a long spawning. On average, spawning time for minnows occurs in April - May, and can last up to two months. At this time, the fish leave in flocks in shallow water. Here it should be guarded.
In the spring, a gudgeon pecks all day, starting from the very early morning and ending late in the evening. In the summer, during hot hours, on the contrary, biting is practically absent. At night, the gudgeon is not active, it descends closer to the bottom and does not rise until dawn. In the morning hours, the whole flock is still at the bottom, but only having noticed the prey, the struggle begins. Each gudgeon tries to grab it first. Therefore, in the morning hours the fisherman does not have to wait long for the first bites.
Actively pecks a small fish after rains, when muddy water rushes into the rivers from the banks. Such streams carry a lot of food. Due to the sensitivity of his antennae, it is not difficult for him to find prey in troubled waters.
Often for fishing use light float rods 3-6 meters in length. A thin line is taken. The float is used light - feather or factory plastic. If the worm serves as bait, then the hook is taken as usual No. 6 - No. 8. If bloodworm, then use No. 10 - a hook with a long forearm.
Important! The float tackle is thrown so that the hook is very close to the bottom, sometimes touching it.
In places where minnows are enough, fishing can be done with 2 hooks. In this case, the top compared to the bottom will be 4 centimeters higher. He is attached on a short leash. It takes the gudgeon very well in spring and summer on the worm and caddis. In late summer and early fall, bloodworms work better.
If the amount of fish is insufficient, it is better to fish for a worm, a whole or a half. In places where there are rapids, the best piece of the nozzle will be a piece of the worm at all.
If a bloodworm is used as bait, then it is better to put it on the hook so that the sting passes under the head. Less willingly, the gudgeon pecks at maggots or an ant egg, even less often - on bread.
Winter gudgeon fishing
With the onset of frost, the fish goes lower to the bottom, but does not leave the river. Although gudgeon fishing in winter is not as effective as in summer, it can be caught from ice to mormyshka. To find winter fish stands on the river, it is advisable to know where the sandy bottom is under the ice. At the same time, the depth should be no lower than average if fishing takes place on a small river.
If the bottom topography is unknown, many holes have to be drilled. Particular attention should be paid to steep banks, river bends, indentations near open rapids. It should be remembered that the ice on the rivers is very heterogeneous in thickness. Even in cold weather there is a danger of falling through the ice!
There are several ways to catch a gudgeon:
- In the wander. In other words, fishing in troubled waters. To do this, the fisherman should raise the soil settled at the bottom, in places where the fish accumulate. You can use your hands, stick or just walk a little. Usually this method of catching a gudgeon is practiced when fishing for a short fishing rod.
- In the wiring. For this method of fishing, use a light fishing rod with a small float and a small hook, you can also use a half-fishing rod. The load, in this case, will be the pellet of the desired mass. The bait will drag along the bottom, at the slightest delay the float reacts with a soft hook.
- With a self-submersible float. Suitable for fishing in shallow water, where there is a high-speed current. In this case, the bait should also drag along the bottom surface. Often used 2 hooks, the distance between the upper and lower is an average of 10 cm, garter on a short leash.
There is another way to catch a gudgeon. It does not injure the fish and is very simple, so it should be disassembled separately from the rest. You should take a container, for example, a three-liter jar, a plastic bottle, a saucepan, a basin or something similar will do. The container is buried in the sand, while leaving a hole with a diameter of 10-15 centimeters.
For example, if you use a basin, then the top is covered with a cloth and a hole with a diameter of 10-15 cm is cut out on the surface. You can put worms or bloodworms on the bottom to attract inquisitive fish. Fish willingly swims in this tank, and the fisherman only needs to get the "gudgeon in the house." This method of fishing is often used by very young beginner fishermen.
Pescaras are very curious and somewhat fearless, so catching them is not difficult. For their catching special equipment and training are not needed. There is an opportunity to boast of a catch almost all year round. Gudgeon can be deliciously prepared or used as bait for larger fish. For this, both beginners and experienced fishermen appreciate them.