Sometimes a user stores enough personal or confidential information on his Android tablet or smartphone and it is extremely undesirable for other people to see it or read it accidentally. In this article, we will consider one of the ways how to hide files and folders of the Android system by making them invisible.
How to hide the folder and files on Android
Unfortunately, it does not have a right mouse button, which gives full access to the settings in the familiar Windows operating system. The procedure for hiding files and folders is a bit different, but first you need to have a special file manager. Full, we described earlier, but we strongly recommend using it, because it is simple and straightforward to use.
If you haven’t installed it yet, then follow this link to the official PlayMarket website and download it. It is absolutely free.
In order to make a file or folder invisible to others, you must:
1. Open the file manager,
2. Select the desired file or folder,
3. Tap on it and wait for the settings to appear,
4. Select rename,
5. Put a dot in front of the name.
And lo and behold, a folder or file no longer appears on your screen, and now consider the reverse procedure.
How to display hidden files and folders in Android
From the first paragraph, we know that when the first character is a dot in the name of a file or folder, then we make it invisible in the Android system, but how to do the opposite.
We go into the settings of the same file manager and put a tick in front of the item show hidden files and folders. Now we can see all the hidden objects and rename them back to make visible to everyone.
Some interesting team
There is one interesting feature of Android - hidden only photos and media content in a specific folder, for this:
1. Open the file manager,
2. Go to the desired folder,
3. In it, we create an empty file with the name .nomedia,
4. We reboot the device.
As you can see, this procedure is relatively simple, and will help to easily hide or display the necessary information.
In life, situations often arise when your Android smartphone or tablet is taken by friends or acquaintances and you would not want them to see confidential information. How to hide files from the gallery or media player, as well as the file manager in Android, read this article!
Is there a photo or video that is embarrassing to show or is there "secret information"? If you need to hide these files, then you need to do this:
Hiding a folder or file on Android
In order to hide a file or folder from the file manager (explorer), it is necessary to rename the required file or folder by adding a dot in front of the name. That is, to hide the file xxxx.jpg need to rename the file to .xxxx.jpg . In order to hide the AlenaNu folder, add a period before the name. AlenaNu
So here you can hide the photo on android and not only - the folder and other files!
After such a simple procedure, you will hide what you need in Android, but there is one problem, when connecting to a computer you will see that everything that you hid in Windows is clearly visible! Therefore, you need to "refine" the invisibility.
Hiding a folder or file on a Windows computer
Below is a screenshot that shows the folders at the beginning of the folder that are no longer visible in Android, but visible in Windows:
To hide a folder or file you need to select everything or select it individually -> click the right mouse button -> select properties - change the attributes of the file or folder to Hidden.
Still have additional questions? Ask them in the comments, talk about what you did or vice versa!
That's all! Stay with the Android +1 site, it will be even more interesting! For more articles and instructions, see Android Articles and Hacks.
Tablet manufacturers intentionally hide many system files, and this is the norm, as accidentally deleting them or changing them can lead to the most unusual consequences. Also, files may not be displayed due to viruses, which negatively affects the operation of the device. But if the files are simply hidden, they can be easily found and seen. Consider some of the most popular ways to view hidden files on your tablet.
Open hidden files using third-party programs
All hidden files on Android devices have two main attributes. The first is a property in the file settings, with the corresponding name. The second is the dot preceding the name of the file or folder. This approach restricts the display of a document in both Linux and Windows systems. These restrictions can be removed with the help of any popular, third-party file manager.
Total Commander is one of the most popular programs for working with files of various types. With its help, you can not only directly open hidden files, prescribing the full path to the document, but also display such documents without changing the attributes. To do this, just go to the settings, find the option “Show hidden files” and restart the program.
Another popular file manager, the functions of which can be expanded with the help of add-ons. It has an extremely simple interface similar to the standard one, as well as quick access to settings. To show hidden files in ES Explorer, just swipe to the right, and in the menu that appears, select the appropriate item for displaying hidden files.
Opening hidden files with the help of conductors, after displaying them, is quite simple - just one click on the icon is enough. If you just don’t want to flaunt some documents, just write the direct path to it on the command line.
How to open hidden files on a tablet using a PC?
You can also access hidden files in the tablet’s memory using a computer. It is enough to connect the gadget to the PC using a cable and select the drive mode on it. Next, using any file manager, open one of the tablet’s disks, and in the settings pre-set the display of hidden files. All documents can be either opened directly from the device or copied for further work with them.
In this article, we will figure out how to hide a folder on Android, how to hide files on Android so that they are not visible on a mobile device. Hidden files and folders of your Android device will help protect private information from outsiders that is not intended for other users who can access your smartphone or tablet, for example, family members.
A modern mobile device running on the Android operating system usually stores a large amount of various information: videos, photos, documents, etc. Among these data may be personal information that should be hidden from prying eyes. Due to neglect of the data stored on the phone, problems can arise, including in personal life.
To protect sensitive data, you need to hide files and folders on Android. The hidden folder on Android will help protect personal private information, an outsider will not see on the smartphone if it falls into his hands, nothing of what was hidden by the user of the mobile device.
For greater reliability, all private data can be collected in one folder, and then hide it from prying eyes. You do not have to hide individual folders at all, but hide only some files located in different folders.
In the article you will find instructions on how to create an invisible folder or hide a file on a mobile device running the Android operating system. We will create a new hidden folder, hide the already existing folder, hide the file, see the hidden folder or file, remove the hidden folder or file: make them visible again.
To create a hidden folder or a hidden file, we need a file manager (Explorer). If a file manager is preinstalled on your device, use this application. If there is no Explorer on your smartphone or tablet, or you are not satisfied with its capabilities, check out the pro article to select the appropriate application for your device.
The method of creating a hidden folder involves masking a folder or file as a system directory or application. On Android, system directories are not displayed by default.
Using the example in the article, I will show how it works in the powerful ES File Manager, due to the fact that this is the most popular program of this type. In other applications, the menu items of the programs may differ in name, but all the actions performed will be identical.
How to create a hidden folder on Android
First, create a new folder in ES Explorer. To do this, you must enable the display of hidden files using the program.
Follow these steps:
- Open the file manager.
- Go to "Settings" (in the upper left menu), and then go to the "Display Settings" option.
- Check the box “Show hidden files” (Show files starting with a period).
Create a new hidden folder:
- In the main window of the file manager, select the internal or external memory (SD card, if the system allows recording to external media without root rights), where the hidden folder should be located.
- Click on the right drop-down menu, in the "Create" window that opens, select "Folder".
- Create a folder, give it a name, put a dot in front of the name of the folder, for example, “. Folder” or something like that, as you like. I advise you to write the name of the folder in Latin letters, in this case, the name of the folder will not be striking.
- Click on the OK button.
- Move the necessary files to this folder from your device (smartphone or tablet).
- Go into the file manager settings, uncheck the box next to the settings item, showing the system directories.
After that, the hidden folder will not be displayed among other folders on the mobile device.
How to make a hidden folder on Android
In a similar way, you can make an existing folder hidden on a mobile phone running Android. We do not need to include the image of hidden folders in the settings.
Let's say we need to hide private videos. Using the file manager, select the folder on the device that you want to hide. In our case, this is the “Video” folder located in the internal memory of the mobile device.
- Click on the folder, select “Rename”.
- Put a dot “.Video” in front of the name of the folder, click on the “OK” button.
- The hidden folder will disappear from view, when you enter the gallery again, you will not find a folder with video files there, because this folder is hidden in the system.
In this way, you can hide the folders: “Audio”, “Video”, Pictures ”,“ Camera ”(located in the“ DCIM ”folder),“ Download ”,“ Document ”, etc., other folders with multimedia files that are located in application folders, for example, in the WhatsApp folder.
How to hide the contents of a gallery folder
Consider another way that hides the contents of an existing gallery folder. With this method, the folder itself is not hidden, but the contents of the folder are not displayed in the gallery.
Now I will show how to hide the folder on Android in the gallery, where multimedia files are displayed: photos, videos, etc.
- In the file manager, enter the folder whose contents you want to hide in the gallery.
- From the file manager menu, select "Create" and then "File".
- Name the file “.nomedia”, with a dot at the beginning of the file name, click “OK”.
- Reboot the device.
After starting the smartphone, the contents of the folder will not be displayed in the phone’s gallery. In the file manager, the folder and its contents will be visible.
How to view hidden folders on Android
In order to open hidden folders on Android, on the mobile device you need to enable the display of hidden folders.
- Go to the file manager settings, enable the display of hidden directories.
- Hidden data will be visible on the phone until you turn off the display of hidden files again.
How to make a hidden folder visible on Android
Now let's see how to make a folder a visible folder again for the whole time, regardless of whether hidden folders are displayed or not on the device.
- Enter the settings of the file manager, check the box to display hidden directories.
- Find the hidden folder, click on the folder.
- Select "Rename", remove the dot in front of the folder name.
- Uncheck the box next to the option to show hidden files in the file manager settings.
This folder has become visible again, the usual folder.
How to make the contents of the gallery folder visible
If there is no need to hide media files in the gallery, delete the “.nomedia” file from the folder with multimedia data.
- Enable the display of hidden files in the file manager.
- Enter the folder from which files were hidden in the gallery.
- Delete the previously created file named .nomedia from there.
- Reboot your smartphone.
- Turn off showing hidden directories on your phone.
In the "Gallery" all files will be visible again: videos, photos, images, screenshots, etc.
How to hide a file on Android
In some cases, you need to hide a separate file without hiding everything else. If you read the article to this place, you probably already figured out how to do this.
- Enter the folder in which you want to hide the file.
- Click on the file, select “Rename”.
- Place a dot in front of the file name “. File name”, and then click on the “OK” button.
- The hidden file will become invisible.
In this way, you can hide several files in one folder, the remaining files from this folder will be visible.
How to make a hidden file visible on Android
When the need to hide something disappears, the hidden file must be made visible again.
- In the file manager settings, check the box to display hidden files.
- Enter the folder with the hidden file, select the “Rename” option.
- Remove the point from the file name, click on the "OK" button.
- In the settings of the file manager, uncheck the box next to the option “Show hidden files”.
The hidden file will again become the usual visible file.
Create personal space on your smartphone
One of the best ways to hide files, photos and videos on your smartphone is to create a personal space. Typically, this will mean creating a copy of your OS that is protected by a different password or fingerprint other than your primary. This method is very useful for parents who want their children to use their phones without opening certain applications or viewing certain images or videos in their gallery. This is also useful if you need to lend your phone to a particularly mischievous friend, if you care about his excessive curiosity. Each manufacturer has its own configuration method, but we will show you an example for the Huawei P10 smartphone.
So your actions:
- go to the “Settings” section, and then to “Security and privacy”,
- in this section you can find the option "Personal space",
- activate a new personal space and set a password (different from your main one),
Hiding specific folders from the gallery application
If you don’t want to have difficulty setting up a completely new personal space, you can also hide certain folders containing personal photos or videos from the Gallery application. This process is very simple, although the options may be located elsewhere, depending on what type of Android interface you are using. To show you an example, we used Huawei's EMUI (Android Oreo version).
- Go to your gallery section and find the folders you want to hide,
- then click on the three-dot icon and the bottom of the screen to call up the settings menu,
- here you can click on the “Hide albums” icon so that they can be displayed in your gallery or not.
- if you want to see them again, just follow the reverse process.
Conclusions of the article
Using the file manager, you can create a hidden folder or hide a file if the user needs to protect private information stored on a mobile device. There are several ways in which you can hide a folder or a file completely, or hide multimedia files in a folder from viewing in the smartphone gallery.
Often a situation arises that it is necessary to hide files or a folder from prying eyes. In Android OS, hiding a folder with files is very simple. To do this, you do not need to download third-party applications. Let's see how to hide files on Android.
In order to hide files on Android, you will need any file manager. For example, ES Explorer, which is available on the Play Market and can be downloaded for free.
If you have already decided which files you want to hide, then go to the folder where the same file is located. This method will work only with files from the gallery or media player. In the folder, create a new empty file called .nomedia.
Overload your gadget.
Hide folders and files
In order to hide other files or folders on Android, do a little manipulation:
- go to the file manager
- look for the folder you want to hide in it
- open the context menu by holding your finger on the file
- Click Rename
- put a dot in front of the folder name
Чтобы изменения вступили в силу — в настройках проводника отключите пункт «Показывать скрытые файлы».
Например, если вы хотите скрыть папку Camera (или любую другую), переименуйте её, добавив одну точку в начале названия. Должно получиться так — .Camera. Только не пугайтесь, когда эта папка сразу пропадёт после переименования. Она не пропала, а всего лишь скрылась.
Включить показ скрытых папок можно в настройках ES Explorer или в настройках любого другого файлового менеджера, каким вы пользуетесь.
Если вы хотите снова вернуть скрытые файлы на Андроид, то включите пункт «Показывать скрытые файлы» и удалите точку перед названием файла.
Как скрыть файлы и папки через Windows
Скрытые файлы на Андроид будут скрытыми только на Андроид. If after hiding the files you connect the smart device to a PC based on the Windows operating system, then the files you have hidden will be visible on the computer. But they will still remain hidden on Android.
To hide folders / files in Windows:
- select folders / files with a dot at the beginning of the name
- call the context menu
- check the box next to "Hidden"
- click on the "Apply" button, and then - "OK"
Show hidden files on Android
Open File Manager (File Manager). Then click Menu> Settings.
Go to the section Additionally (Advanced) and set the parameter Show hidden files (Show hidden files) to On (ON):
Now you can easily access files that you previously installed as hidden on your device.
How to hide images in the gallery using file transfer
Your music app has downloaded album art for all your MP3s, with hundreds of images automatically downloaded from WhatsApp. It probably annoys you. To get rid of such trouble, follow these steps:
- connect the smartphone to the computer to enable file transfer,
- go to the WhatsApp directory,
- create an empty text file and rename it to .nomedia,
- do the same in the music catalog,
- Check the result in the gallery app and in the VLC.
Even when you do not have access to a computer, you can also rename any other file in .nomedia and move it to where you need it.
Where are images stored on Android
Photos taken on the Camera (standard Android application) are stored on the memory card or internal memory of the phone, depending on the settings of the application.
The location of the photos is always the same - the DCIM Camera folder. The full path looks like this:
- / storage / emmc / DCIM - if in the phone’s memory
- / storage / sdcard0 / DCIM - if on a memory card
How to quickly go to these folders on Android? Install any file manager (for example, ES Explorer or Total Commander) - the built-in tools of the mobile OS are inconvenient in navigation and limited in file operations.
The acronym DCIM stands for Digital Camera Images. For digital cameras, this name is a kind of standard.
iOS and Android devices support the DCF specification, within which the name DCIM is accepted. Therefore, desktop and mobile applications open this folder without any problems.
How to delete thumbnail cache?
Often thumbnail files “eat up” too much space on the phone: the bill goes to gigabytes. It is useful, and sometimes necessary, to clear the contents of the thumbnails folder. In this case, you lose nothing, the necessary files will be recreated as necessary.
There are two ways to clear thumbnail files.
Method 1 (manually):
- Install the file manager on Android
- Turn on viewing hidden files on your phone
- Go to thumbnails folder
- Delete its contents by selecting all files
Method 2 (automatically):
- Download and install CCleaner app for Android
- Go to the section “Clearing the cache” and memory and click “Analysis”
- In the results, check the box next to “Thumbnail cache” and click “Clear”
The dcim folder is empty - what should I do?
This problem occurs when you connect your phone to a PC via a USB cable. There is nothing in the dcim folder, while photos are still displayed through the Gallery.
- You need to check both locations - on the memory card and in the memory of the android device (perhaps you should transfer files from one DCIM folder to another).
- Next, delete the cache from the External Storage and Media Storage application.
- Settings -> Applications-> Three-Point Menu
- Show system applications -> External Storage and Media storage
- Delete data and cache
- Reboot phone
Questions and answers
I accidentally deleted photos from the Camera folder. In the internal storage, I deleted unnecessary items to free up space, and accidentally chose DCIM to erase. Can I restore a photo? It happened 5 days ago. I checked the Trash folder in the Gallery, but it shows files that do not open.
Answer. Thumbnails from the DCIM folder can be restored even without root, but to get the original photos it is necessary. We have already talked about similar cases here; study the cases of other users.
Help restore files on your phone. When connected to a computer, photos in the DCIM folder (internal memory) were not visible, although photos were viewed on the phone. I wanted to throw them on the comp. As a result, she created something incomprehensible. Now in this folder all the photos are in the form of gray squares with an exclamation mark. When you try to open, the cursor freezes and turns, and after that it says that this format is not supported. I somehow merged two DCIM folders and replaced. As a result, free up space in the internal memory of the phone. Is it possible in this case to reanimate photos and videos from this folder, and if so, how?
I have a Samsung galaxy j5 on my smartphone, photos and videos have disappeared. I’m looking in my files, there is nothing in the DCIM folder, but the memory is busy. An Android notification arrives that you need to free up memory. What to do?
I transferred the photos from the phone to the memory card, but there they disappeared, instead of them there is a triangle with an exclamation mark ... I found them (on your advice) in the DCIM camera, but the quality leaves much to be desired (there is no clarity at all!).
I moved the photos from the phone to the sd card. The operation was performed through a stationary computer by connecting a device to it via a USB port. There is access to the Android Gallery, photos in the DCIM / Camera folder. But there is no access from Viber and Votsap to photos and videos.
"viewing photos from a DCIM phone does not open on the computer, but CAMERA doesn’t. How do I transfer photos? View?"
Samsung deleted the DCIM and Android file on the phone’s memory card! Is it possible to restore photos and videos in the same case?
Hello! Tell me, can I make sure that photos are displayed in the DCIM folder or so that they are visible, I need to transfer the necessary and unnecessary spam and texts to delete, how easy it is to automate. What advise how to save what is needed in the watsup and what is unnecessary to delete in one fell swoop to clear the memory?
How to hide individual photos and videos in Android
From time to time, you may need to transfer your phone to family and friends. This can be a little frustrating if you need to keep some files private. In this case, you can move them to the hidden directory by adding them to the ".nomedia" file.
- Connect the smartphone to the computer and enable file transfer,
- open the file explorer application,
- go to the DCIM directory,
- create a folder named .hidden,
- create an empty text file and rename it to .nomedia,
- move the photos you want to hide in .hidden,
- Check the final result in your gallery and in VLC.
You can also rename individual images so that they do not have a dot at the beginning. This is just the Unix standard for naming files, as well as file names in a Linux-based operating system.
VLC has a pretty elegant way to handle hidden files, directories and videos. By default, hidden videos should not be displayed in the video category. After that, you can access the content only through special actions and, therefore, it will not be available to other people using your phone. The trick is to go to the directory where your hidden folder is located and then update it.
Some smartphone manufacturers provide additional applications that can encrypt files on Android. However, you should be careful with them, as they carry some risks. For example:
- you can forget the password
- the application may not be available in the future, so your files can no longer be decrypted.
In addition, there is already a file encryption scheme in Android 5.0, which is used on most smartphones released since 2014. Such Android devices are fully encrypted, so that no one can access your data until you unlock your smartphone.